Green Impact in DentistryThe pilot of Green Impact in Dentistry has been funded by NHS dental commissioning group in the East of England.
Green Impact is delivered by Students Organising for Sustainability (SOS-UK) and designed to provide practical advice and tips to dental teams across the UK, that want to improve their sustainability.
Green Impact for Dentistry was piloted in the East of England area in 2019. 60 dental teams registered on the Green Impact toolkit and completed 674 positive sustainability actions. We are now seeking regions to take part in the nationwide launch of Green Impact in Dentistry in early 2023. Get in touch if you would like to take part!
Green Impact is a sustainability accreditation scheme with an audit and awards element. It’s an international programme, recognised by UNESCO as a global laureate for education for sustainable development. It runs in many different sectors, including dentistry. Through Green Impact, dental practices can access support, and can choose to work towards a bronze, silver or gold level accreditation, evidencing their commitment to being a responsible healthcare business.
An online toolkit, co-designed by multiple sustainability and dentistry experts, provides a step-by-step guide to easy improvements. Participants will gain access to a host of resources and support to help them assess, verify and monitor their impact and progress. At the end of the year, we’ll be providing students with IEMA-approved training to become auditors, training them to visit practices to review their work. We’ll then hold an awards event to celebrate the programme’s achievements.
The pilot was funded by NHS commissioners in the East of England, but now we are seeking regions across the country to sign-up for the nationwide launch to grow the reach and impact.
We anticipate multiple benefits for participating regions and practices, including:
- Creation of a network of sustainability champions to share good practice and ideas both within and outside your region.
- Dental teams can learn more about sustainability issues and are given the agency to take positive action.
- Staff can build new professional and personal skills and undertake workplace CPD around sustainability.
- Practices are recognised for the positive actions they are doing at a local and national level.
- Positive PR amongst policymakers, patients etc.
- Completed actions can reduce carbon, reduce waste, save energy, save water and lead to financial savings.
- Meaningfully supporting ICS Green Plans, Greener NHS Net Zero, and UK Climate Change Act targets.
Any region in England, Scotland or Northern Ireland can sign-up to take part in the 2023 launch. By signing up, dental teams in your region will have access to the toolkit, support, and will be eligible for an award at the end of the year. You’ll also have the opportunity to shape the strategic development of Green Impact. Participation fee varies from £3,000 – £6,000 per year, depending on the number of dental practices in your region. Read more in the overview document. You can contact us if you would like to discuss more.
If you are based in Wales, you can take part in the Greener Primary Care Wales framework, coordinated by Public Health Wales.